This is My Life


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Why am I a Rotarian?

Initially joining Rotary was not something that I planned unlike other things in my life. However, thanks to my dear friend, N, whom  at the time was a stand-in impromptu  President of RCKB ‘encouraged’ me  to channel my community service via a more structured methodology  and as a show of support for her new post, I agreed to be a family member of RCKB. It was not without much resistance and hesitation but due to her power of persuasion, I finally agreed to join.
Having joined this club, which is a much breather from my past experiences with my other associateship in business-based NGOs, I find it rather interesting in terms of its mission, club operations and most of all the fraternity that exists amongst fellow Rotarians. Of course, RCKB is not lacking from shortcomings but due to the true spirits in the purpose of its existence, as a team, we braved all the shortfalls and succeed in delivering our community projects.
As an individual, I have always been in the background and in my own small way; I have been part of groups that is involved in community services. Beginning from my early years as a Gnome in Brownies Club, Scouts & Red Crescent Clubs in high school and participation whenever I could in volunteering at retirement homes during my tertiary years. My young adulthood was filled with building my career, having fun, and time was always against me to be in active involvement of community services.  Not until in my mid life, when things are stabilized, I realized that it is time for me to give back. Giving back can be in many forms. It does not only mean, in monetary terms, it can also mean sacrifices in our personal time and effort and sometimes love. The feeling of compassionate in the miseries of others will Insyallah brings us to realize how blessed we are to be who we are. It is always good to give whenever and wherever we can as long as it comes from the heart and never to expect anything in return. Giving is what they say as, Food for the Soul and being a Rotarian brings like-minded people together and collectively we could do greater things for the benefits of our community and society in general.
I truly encourage all my friends and like-minded people out there to be part of our family in doing our bit for the community and trust me, you will not regret. Lastly, as a ‘new’ Rotarian i.e. not even a year old Rotarian, I hope I have the tenacity, resilience and strength both emotional and physical, as in many Rotarians that I have met, to continue to serve the community and to be at my best at all times.


No comments:

Post a Comment